I like gardening – it’s a place where I find myself when I need to lose myself. ~ Alice Sebold
Earlier this week I mowed my own lawn.
Nothing major or too exciting about that is there? Well, on the surface of it you wouldn’t think too much of mowing your lawn. Anyone with grass in their yard needs to do it before nature’s jungle takes over. Some of us will hire Lawnmower Man to tend to their green expanses while some wouldn’t dream of having a stranger touch their luscious blades. Some don’t have much choice but to chuck on their daggy clothing and get messy in the garden.
Before I moved to my new home I actually did hire someone to come out and regularly maintain my yard – for me it was because I was time poor and I was able to find someone to do a relatively decent job without it costing me the earth. Since I’ve moved though, I have been mowing myself and it got me to thinking about the actual benefits involved in the process. Here’s a little list I came up with – while mowing no less 😉
- Free Mulch: Yep, that Nitrogen rich goodness makes a fantastic mulch for your garden, especially your vegies! You do need to be careful that you’re not using grass clippings that have been treated with chemicals though as this could kill your plants as the clippings break down and leach into your soil.
- Keeping fit: Who doesn’t work up a sweat pushing that mower back and forth? I say “If you’re not sweating, you’re not doing it right!” Lawn mowing counts as a cardiovascular exercise as it gets your blood pumping. I also know I feel my upper body strengthening too and ladies, if you tighten your pelvic floor muscles while you’re pushing and pulling the mower you’ll be doing yourself an extra favour! Obviously, how much of a work out depends on your mower, yard size etc. but everything counts! Who needs a gym membership?!
- Thinking time: I have always enjoyed mowing as excellent thinking time: no-one disturbs me while I’m mowing, I’m alone with my thoughts and I get some great creative ideas or solutions to problems while I’m mowing. Just make sure you’re still paying attention to what you’re doing so you don’t cut down the wrong thing – like your precious plants or toes 😉
- The sweet smell of freshly mown grass: I’m yet to meet someone who says they don’t like that smell though I’m sure they’re out there… somewhere. Did you know that a constituent of freshly mown grass actually helps to relieve stress, make you feel happy and boosts memory? I know I feel better afterwards and that’s enough evidence for me but check out this article for more info if you’re curious.
- Cold showers: After working up a good sweat there is nothing like a refreshing cold shower and you may be more willing to take a completely cold shower after you’ve done that work out! The benefits of a cold shower are numerous: increased circulation, strengthened immunity, increasing metabolism, easing depression and deepening breathing to name a few. Check out this site for further information or research it yourself 🙂
These are the benefits I came up with from my own perspective, they’re motivation enough for me to keep mowing my own lawn. I’d be interested to hear what other people get out of lawn mowing too.